Senior Research Assistant, University of Southampton
July 2015 - December 2016
- This diverse role included planning and developing new digital interventions to help patients self-manage long-term health conditions using the person-based approach to behaviour change. Simultaneously, I conducted qualitative face-to-face and telephone interviews to investigate patients and practitioners’ views of various interventions to inform changes for the projects main trials. My additional responsibilities included; trial management of multiple projects, producing ethical applications and documentation, managing multiple trial databases, recruitment, screening potential participants for intervention eligibility, and patient user support for online interventions. I also supervised volunteer research assistants on various research projects.
- During my role, I worked in large multidisciplinary teams, including regularly liaising with grant holders, co-applicants, PPI representatives, research fellows, and organisations from the third sector (e.g. Breast Cancer UK, MacMillan etc.).
Research Assistant, University of Southampton
May 2015 - July 2015 (voluntary)
- In addition to the projects outlined above, I also worked on the MOCAM study investigating the non-specific effects of treatment for low back pain in physiotherapy, osteopathy, and acupuncture. I volunteered for three months and was subsequently offered a paid position one day per week alongside my Senior Research Assistant role at the University. My responsibilities included assisting in recruitment and trial management for this large mixed methods study. I also aided in improving patient recruitment strategies used in this study by investigating the barriers and facilitators to recruitment, and re-designing materials to maximise participant enrolment.
- Nuffield Research Placements, Nuffield foundation, Supervised two A-level students for a 4-week summer research project, August 2018.
- M97PY: Interactions and Outcomes in Healthcare Practice, MSc Health Psychology, delivered three 2-hour lectures; ‘Adherence to medical advice and medications’, ‘Screening and preventive medicine’, and ‘Specific needs of children’, February 2018.
Workshop tutor and essay marker
- M139PY: Advanced Qualitative Research Methods, MSc Health and Forensic Psychology, 12 weeks, 2-hour workshop, Jan - March 2018
- 253PY: Solving Psychological Problems, 2nd year BSc Psychology, 12 weeks, 2-hour workshop, October - December 2017,
- 122PY Research Methods and Academic Skills for Psychologists, ‘Independent and paired samples t-tests’ (May 2017), Coventry University, 1st year BSc Psychology, one-off 2-hour workshop.
- Skills training programme, ‘Project and Time Management’ (November 2016), University of Southampton, MSc Health Psychology, one-off 2-hour seminar.
Other Skills and Achievements
Skills and Training
- Associate Fellow to the Higher Education Academy, AFHEA (July 2017)
- SPSS statistics software (quantitative data analysis)
- NVivo qualitative analysis software (qualitative data analysis)
- LifeGuide Authoring Tool (design and programming skills)
- Panopto (video platform for training, teaching, and presenting)
- Endnote and RefWorks reference manager
- Introduction to Good Clinical Practice eLearning (Primary Care; November 2015)
- Emergency First Aid at Work, University of Southampton (May 2016)
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
Interests and Volunteering
- British Lung Foundation Healthcare Professional (2018 – present)
As a British Lung Foundation (BLF) Healthcare Professional, I support the BLF with fundraising, including raising £220, increasing awareness of lung conditions (e.g. COPD) and regularly updating the BLF.
- Research Student Representative for Coventry University Student Union (2017 – present)
As a Research Student Representative, I attend regular meetings and forums to provide positive and constructive feedback representing the research students at Coventry University. I represent the student voice for wider issues contributing to University changes such as the rules and regulations for Postgraduate researchers at Coventry University. I represented the Faculty of Health and Life Sciences as Senior Rep for 2017/2018.
Awards and Achievements
- Postgraduate Research Rep of the Year, Coventry University Student Union (December 2018)
- HLS Faculty Associate Dean's Award, Coventry University Student Union (December 2018)
- Rep of the Month, Coventry University Student Union (June 2018)
- Research Forum of the Year, Coventry University Student Union (May 2018)
Get in touch...
For my full CV or to find out how I may be useful to you...